Are you SO excited about a THEME PARTY or just me?! I love an excuse to dress up… but to dress up vintage is next level!
The best theme party we have thrown to date is our engagement party.. We rented thee best, most mid century modern-y house in Palm Springs. Then we made everyone dress up mid century to match us, the house and the vibes so we could all be transported back in time.
Here’s some tips and ideas for throwing a theme party.
Find the perfect Venue:
- An Alexander Swiss Miss located in Rancho Las Palmas, Palm Springs.
I searched for months and until I found the most perfect house. Then I learned all about the Alexander Swiss Miss. They are kitchy and not meant to be in Palm Springs which makes me love them even more.
Decorations are key
The venue was so good, we probably didn’t even need decorations but we extra! So I took a bridesmaid and trip to Arizona and went wild.
Thrifted decor is my favorite way to have a vintage modern theme party. There’s so much you can do and with so little money!
- Period correct barware, thrifted at Goodwill and vintage stores in Chandler, Arizona
- Bar Carts from an antique store in Arizona and Costa Mesa Salvation Army
- “Eat, drink and be Gaydon” wood sign (our wedding hashtag) on display, printed by Evan
- “D + E” large wood letters, printed by Evan
- Record Player from Urban Outfitters
- Gold initial tumblers from Anthropologie. Similar ones here
Period Correct Apps + Drinks
- Cheese Fondue (we also bought a 60s fondue set)
- Old Fashioned drinks
- Custom Cookies
Give an award to the best dressed guests. We didn’t do that but it’s a great incentive to get people on board!
Tip: Send your guests some ideas of what to wear in a visual form. I assumed everyone knows their vintage fashion..oopsie. I received a lot of nervous texts asking for ideas. We told people Mad Men but they needed more. Give the people what they need!